Sunday, January 13, 2013

Morning Mindfulness

"Morning Mindfulness" 10x8" oil on canvas board

"Awake, harp and lyre!
     I will awaken the dawn."

— Psalm 57: 8

For some reason, I have been waking up at 3:00 a.m. most every morning lately, unable to go back to sleep...UGH! When this happens, I've started trying to apply an idea gathered from a beautiful little book I am reading titled sevensacredpauses.

The night watch vigil (midnight until dawn) is one of the noted times for sacred pauses; a time to rise from sleep to wait in silence with purpose, patience, hope and love. I don't think I'd ever wake up like this on purpose, but when I can't sleep this different take on the situation has turned an annoying negative into one of humbled surrender and acceptance.

When my friend Angela showed me her photo of this harvested hayfield, taken on a recent foggy morn, I couldn't wait to get my fingers on a brush. The field seems to instinctively understand the mystery of deep listening, watching, and waiting patiently in faithful vigilance for the fog to lift and sun to reveal the new day.

Although I am by nature a morning person, this quote from Thomas Merton speaks volumes. "It is necessary for me to see the first point of light which begins to dawn. It is necessary to be present alone at the resurrection of Day, in the blank silence when the sun appears."
  
Thank you for celebrating a gift of ordinary life with me today.
nancy


© 2012 nancy parsons
_____________________________________________________
To see more of my art or to contact me: 
Gallery  •  Blog  • NEW WebsiteE-mail Graphic Design Studio

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting and beautiful words.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks again for following my work and your comments, Helen.
    I really love getting comments.

    ReplyDelete