Sunday, February 10, 2013

First Sign of Spring

"First Sign of Spring" 8x10", oil on gessobord

"There are always flowers for those who want to see them." 
                                — Henri Matisse 

Who needs a ground hog and its shadow? I can predict when spring is about to break free from the grips of winter. It happens suddenly out of the dark stillness of bare branches, when delicate pink blossoms emerge along pencil-thin twisted boughs by the fence behind my studio.   
 
I clipped a small flowering twig to use in today's more complex still life. I filled the scene with some of my life’s creature comforts including a spot of tea from a silver teapot and spoon, an apple, ceramic baby birds, books and of course candies.  


To give you a bit more insight on the blossoming peach tree; it hasn't always abided in my yard. In fact, this wild and wandering immigrant grew up in the woods behind my house where for many years I had admired it from afar. Then one day, to my total amazement, it popped up on my side of the fence. I assumed a seed either floated in on a strong breeze, or perhaps was carried by a bird or a fairy to take root in my garden. Or, if the truth be told, maybe this lonely tree sensing my deep love and appreciation for its annual beauty, fought and clawed its way underground and the 8 foot pine barrier to enter my fecund oasis where automated watering was all inclusive. The law of attraction? Creative visualization? Oh, the power of love ... and the mind. 


Yoshida Kenko said, "Blossoms are scattered by the wind and the wind cares nothing, but the blossoms of the heart no wind can touch."
 
Happy Valentine's Day!
nancy

© 2013 nancy parsons
_____________________________________________________
To see more of my art or to contact me: 
Gallery  •  Blog  • NEW WebsiteE-mail Graphic Design Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment