Monday, June 23, 2014

Heads Up

"Heads Up", 8x10" Oil on Gessobord

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." — Oscar Wilde

The sleepy head models who posed for this painting were a mom's day gift. I love sunflowers and took a ton of photos of the quintuplets sitting near my kitchen window, while sunbathing in the morning light. These little ladies are definitely not morning people, for the life of me, I couldn't get them to lift their golden heads wreathed in Rapunzel tresses, and open their big brown eyes to face the camera. Finally the one in the back popped her head up and said good morning.


I really enjoyed painting this piece which is looser and more abstract than some of my most recent work. Stretching and reaching for light myself, I tried to stay focused on my goal of not reproducing each and ever petal, but rather to capture all the spots and shapes of colors I was seeing. It was fun giving my inner child permission to come out and color outside the lines. Jim Carey had it right when he said, "If you aren't in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret." 

Thank you for dropping by to play.
nancy 

To see more of my art or to contact me: Online Gallery  • E-mail  •  Website  •  Graphic Design Studio •  Saatchi Gallery •  Fine Art America
 



1 comment:

  1. I reacted with pleasure to the spontaneous appearance of this painting, Nancy so was delighted to read how you were pushing yourself into the enjoyment of "feeling" the painting experience more than capturing the likeness. To my eye, it is a wonderful success.

    ReplyDelete