Sunday, December 7, 2014

Laura Elizabeth

"Laura Elizabeth", 24x24", oil on canvas
"Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you." 
— Khalil Gibran
This painting hardly does justice to my beautiful daughter, Laura. I only wish we'd had the luxury of time to set up a live pose of her draped among loose folds of long white flowing linen, standing before a window bathed in cool Northern light. I could have spent days upon days trying to capture that wild Celtic hair, jewel-like blue green eyes and gentle loving spirit.

Time passes so quickly, a busy mom with two very active teenagers, she works as a full-time high school counselor. Day-after-day she faces one critical or life-threatening situation after the next, listening and responding with heart, mind and soul despite her own debilitating battles and suffering from Lyme's disease. I feel her pain, share in her sorrows, and find gladness in her joy. She is an authentic beacon of light and truth shining in the darkness.

I quickly snapped this photo reference of her in a rare still moment, as she sat on my couch checking emails, most likely responding to a problem with one of the students. I stand gawking in wide-eyed wonder at the incredible human being she has somehow morphed into right before my very eyes. How is it that all of this goodness was allowed to come through me? I am so honored to be her mom. 

Another of my precious children, please meet Laura. 
nancy 

To see more of my art or to contact me: Online Gallery  • E-mail  Website  •  Graphic Design Studio •  Saatchi Gallery •  Fine Art America

2 comments:

  1. What an honor to meet you daughter in this way. You have done such a beautiful job painting her. I love my daughter with my every fiber yet don't think I could ever write about her in words to capture her the way you have done with Laura Elizabeth. Very impressive on many levels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Beckielboo. Daughters are such a gift!

      Delete