Monday, January 27, 2014

Division in the Family

"Orange Reflections", 11X14", oil on gessobord


"Fruits... like having their portrait painted. They seem to sit there and ask your forgiveness for fading. Their thought is given off with their perfumes. They come with all their scents, they speak of the fields they have left, the rain which has nourished them, the day breaks they have seen." — Paul Cezanne


On the last day of my recent figure painting workshop with David Shevlino in Fredericksburg, our live model was a no show due to icy roads. Thus this lush family of colorful fruits volunteered to come to our rescue in bright allure. However, there must have been serious trouble in River City cause they carefully kept their distance and never said a word to each other all day. Such a pity. In spite of the family feud, they were an interesting group to paint. I especially loved the reflections their fiery anger created on the sides of the copper pot.

The boards I have been painting on are primed with a gray gesso versus my standard red tinted grounds. Can you see the difference? I wasn't sure I'd like it, but now think it worked quite nicely by helping to set off the bright colors. I think I'm going to stick with the gray for awhile. 

Thanks for letting me bear my soul.
nancy
_______________________________________________________________________________
To see more of my art or to contact me: Online Gallery  • E-mail  •  Website  •  Graphic Design Studio •  Saatchi Gallery •  Fine Art America

No comments:

Post a Comment