Sunday, January 26, 2014

Figure Painting

"Reclining Nude", 20x16", oil on gessobord

"He who does not master the nude cannot understand the principles of architecture." Michelangelo
I am happy to report I am not dead nor behind bars, but rather took some time off to attend a 5-day figure painting workshop in Fredericksburg, TX with nationally know oil painter, David Shevlino. It was pure joy to paint from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. or later each day with such an accomplished artist. David is an excellent teacher with a great gift for patience. I will be digesting all I learned for years to come. 

This 16x20" nude study is the only painting successful enough to post. The human body, with it's angles and curves is the most difficult of all subjects to paint, but also the most beneficial for the growth of an artist. Rarely having the opportunity to paint from a live nude model, I truly struggled and at times wanted to pull my hair out. It's always a challenging experience to draw the human figure, but to then mix the delicate skin tones in just the right values of lights and darks which accurately capture each subtle value shift in every shape and form of the body required 100 percent concentration and focus. Needless to say, I left the workshop completely exhausted, yet ever so grateful for the experience. 

I was also blessed to have shared a room with my dear friend, and one of my very favorite painter's, Rene Wiley. Rene is a highly accomplished and FABULOUS artist from Galveston, TX. If you've never seen her amazing work check out her gallery. 

Thanks for baring with me today. 
nancy 

_______________________________________________________________________________
To see more of my art or to contact me: Online Gallery  • E-mail  •  Website  •  Graphic Design Studio •  Saatchi Gallery •  Fine Art America


No comments:

Post a Comment