Monday, February 24, 2014

Window Seat

"Window Seat", 10x8", oil on gessobord


 
"What you really want for yourself is always trying to break through just as a cooling breeze flows through an open window on a hot day. Your part is to open the windows of your mind."
—Vernon Howard

The other day a friend asked what was up with all the chairs I've been painting recently? To be honest I am not sure what motivates my fascination? However as I reflect on the question, I have to admit I've been as moved by the illuminated windows serving as backdrops in my paintings, as I have been by the silhouetted chairs themselves. 

The yin-yang of light and dark enchants me with the omnipresence of shadowy darkness stalking ever so close, lurking on the prowl; while parallel worlds of redeeming windows stream with the brilliance of life-saving portals, open invitations for light and color to enter pregnant with the hope of possibility.

I don't know why I feel compelled to paint chairs, but those flanked with wide outstretched stuffed arms, sure seem to long to surround with the warmth of a soft embrace, offering safety and protection. To coin a phrase from Goldilock, "Ahhh, this chair is just right."

Thanks for flowing in through my window. 
nancy 

______________________________________________________
To see more of my art or to contact me: Online Gallery  • E-mail  •  Website  •  Graphic Design Studio •  Saatchi Gallery •  Fine Art America


No comments:

Post a Comment