Monday, July 29, 2013

I'll Be Watching You


"I'll Be Watching You" 10x8" oil on gessobord
"Life is not a spectator sport. If you're going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you're wasting your life" — Jackie Robinson
The subject of this painting was taken from another photo along the River Walk in San Antonio. As I happened upon the scene, I noticed this artist painting in front of the historic Little Church of la Villita (built in 1879) totally oblivious to the passing tourist who paused to watch the artist observe and paint the church. So now here you are, pausing to view the painting of what I was seeing while watching the tourist, watch the painter, watch the church. Watching is addictive!

Yogi Berra said, "You can observe a lot just by watching." From infancy we learn by watching and imitating. Caught in a web of interdependency, we're all watching someone or something outside of ourselves. 

One of the most bizarre premises of quantum theory, which has long fascinated philosophers and physicists, states that when a beam of electrons is observed, by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality. Hmm, I'm not a physicist but on a grander scale would this imply that when an artist is being observed the artist and the art are impacted? Is this why art styles and visions are so unique? 

Dave Chappelle said, "the hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching." Watched or unwatched, never doing the doing is the greater concern. If you've been yearning to explore your inner artist, don't wait another minute, pick up that brush or pencil today and paint in reckless abandon like nobody's watching. 

I do hope you'll keep watching my work. 

nancy
_____________________________________________________
To see more of my art or to contact me: 
Online Gallery  • E-mail Graphic Design Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment