Friday, May 10, 2013

The Oasis Patio

"The Oasis Patio" 16x12" oil on Ampersand gessobord
CLICK TO PURCHASE


On the final day of the workshop, we finally got to paint from real life en plein air on the patio at The Oasis Restaurant which perches along the cliffs high above Lakeway in Austin. 

In the early morning the wind was quite brisk as we watched in awe of our instructor, Colley Whisson, masterfully paint a demo. By 10:30 a.m. the sun was bright and warm and we selected our own locations to paint from on the patio entrance to the restaurant. 

Below is a photo of my chosen subject matter. You can see there was a lot going on and much detail, but part of an impressionist artist's job is to filter out what isn't necessary, or might detract from the piece. My main objective here was to capture the strong light hitting the side of the tall building in the background and cutting through the arched walkway portal onto the patio. Of course, the sun was constantly moving and the light changing, which made the process very challenging. Oh and did I mention, there were people wandering all over the place watching us and making comments.

Although I was standing in the shade of big tree, by the end of the day I walked away with today's painting and a fiery sunburn on just one shoulder...a hazard of the trade. :  )

Thank you for following my workshop experience. I still have lots of information to process which hopefully will help me to grow in my painting skill.
nancy
_____________________________________________________
To see more of my art or to contact me: 
Online Gallery  • E-mail Graphic Design Studio

3 comments:

  1. Brings back memories -- spent many enjoyable evenings at the Oasis. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy. This is a really nice little painting! You did such a great job of composing, simplifying and dramatizing the subject. It definitely leans toward the poetic, rather than the journalistic. I enjoyed meeting you at the workshop. Very best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kenne and Jimmy. I've never thought of the term "poetic" to describe a painting, but it certainly resonates with my goals and objectives. I appreciate your comments. Jimmy, I am now following your amazing work online and hoping one day we'll meet again, perhaps at another workshop. Let's all keep opening eyes to the joy of our physical world.

    ReplyDelete