Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Play A Song For Me

"Play A Song For Me", 10x8" oil on canvas board
 
"The musician writes for the orchestra what his inner voice sings to him; the painter rarely relies without disadvantage solely upon the images which his inner eye presents to him; nature gives him his forms study governs his combinations of them."   
— Hermann Ebbinghaus
 
This is a painting of my son, Rob when he was younger. It doesn't really look like him in the face, so I am sure he will not recognize himself. However when I look at the painting, I get a distinct sense of satisfaction knowing I have captured his creative genius and spirit of love for music. Whenever I've watched him perform over the years, I can see him disappear pulled along by the hand of the illusive inner voice, enveloped into the sound of the great abyss. I recognize this sanctum, as I suppose is true with all artists. It's an inner sanctuary you simply fall and melt into similar to meditation. It happens quickly and...poof you're mind, heart and very soul are no longer in the space your body still occupies. I don't know where this zone resides, but for me if I'm not there, I am not creating. 

For me this was a successful portrait. 

Thanks for listening today.
nancy

______________________________________________________
To see more of my art or to contact me: Online Gallery  • E-mail  •  Website  •  Graphic Design Studio •  Saatchi Gallery •  Fine Art America

4 comments:

  1. spoken by someone who knows best. "If the shoe fits..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Linda. Thanks for your comments. It was so nice meeting you at our recent workshop. I hope you are painting away as well.

      Delete