Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Trumpeter Swan

"Trumpeter Swan", 29x24" Prismacolor on paper
Here's another piece from my circa 1980s endangered species series. The Trumpeter Swan (Olor buccinator) weighing up to 35 pounds with a 8-foot wingspan are the rarest swans in the world. 

The Trumpeter Swan, while once abundant in the United States, was considered extinct in the 1960s until a nesting flock was discovered in Alaska. However, various states list the trumpeter as either state-threatened or state-endangered. 

Photo: The Trumpeter Swan Society
Trivia: A male trumpeter is called a cob. The female is called a pen and the young of the year are called cygnets.

I am happy to report this painting flew north and resides happily in Maine with one of my collectors. 

Thank you for viewing my work. 
nancy

To see more of my art or to contact me: Online Gallery  • E-mail  •  Website  •  Graphic Design Studio •  Saatchi Gallery •  Fine Art America

 



No comments:

Post a Comment