Monday, September 7, 2026

London Still Life

London Still Life
12x10”
Prismacolor
 

 

I love all the details that can be captured with Prismacolor pencils. This still life was created during a six-week trip to England with my 2011 Texas State Poet Laureate husband, David M. Parsons. Dave was studying with Stanley Plumly under the University of Houston London program. His time was filled with seminars, so I filled most of mine working on this still life in our cozy room in Maidavale.

I have always loved working with Prismacolors—and, best of all, they don’t take up any room in a suitcase.

For my subject matter, I decided to choose from some items purchased on our trip. The arrangement included various and assundry, found-pieces including an antique "Blue Willow": china plate, and a tea pot with matching creamer, mini jars of jam, a crystal brandy glass, linens, a wine bottle, a small wooden case of fish knives (sans a key) also purchased from a local antique shop, a small tin of breath mints, a packet of flower seeds with pressing instructions, and a few baby carnations.

I labored with those wooden sticks of color for 30+ hours on this piece, loving this artwork with all its fine detail into existence.

When we returned from our journey across the pond, I was delighted to be awarded a Touring Citation from the Texas Fine Arts Association in the “Texas Realism 1985” competition. Juror: Tom Livesay, Assistant Director, Dallas Museum of Art. This painting was on tour for a year, visiting numerous communities across Texas.

Thank you for viewing my work.  

Life is a daring adventure! I hope to see you again soon on the journey. 

All best, 

Nancy

*Follow me down the highway of life as an artist. Don’t forget to hit the “Subscribe” button on the right to receive notifications when a new blog post is posted. 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment