Tuesday, August 27, 2013

SOLD -Face It

Face It", 6x6", oil on gessobord
"Facing it, always facing it, that's the way to get through. Face it." — Joseph Conrad


This photo was taken over the July 4th weekend on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, TX. Those tourists are three of my sisters (one is partially hidden by the first sister) and two brothers-in-law fighting their way along the crowded walkway. I am sure none of them are going to recognize their faces in the painting but let's face it, faces are really hard to nail, especially on such a small canvas. 

I've included to the right, the Notan study I created for the painting. Notan is a Japanese term meaning harmony of dark and light. This is the latest challenge posted on DailyPaint Works

The first instruction was to create a black and white sketch before beginning the painting that divides everything into either pure white light, or a solid black Heart of Darkness. Easier said then done!

Instead of sketching my Notan by hand as instructed, I took my original photo into Photoshop, and used the threshold adjustment tool to experiment with the light and dark patterns. Once I was happy with the resulting patterns, I printed it out, and tweaked a bit with a marker to further eliminate any remaining mid-tone values still visible. 

Next, I used the study as a guide for the painting being careful to keep all the colors in their preassigned places. I am happy to report, they minded just like little kids on their first day of school. I was pleased with the result. Pretty cool technique! 

Thanks for strolling by today. 
nancy
To see more of my art or to contact me: 
Online Gallery  • E-mail Graphic Design Studio


2 comments:

  1. What a delight this post was to read. I love the painting. So full of energy and sunlight. You are marvelous at figures.
    The Notan can be a big help. I love just drawing small ones but never thought of the computer. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Julie. I am a big admirer of your colorful lively and soul-filled paintings, so hearing your words has great meaning to me. I've really been enjoying painting people and hope to continue working in that area. I really appreciate your comments!!! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete