Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Three-lips

"Three-lips, 6x6" oil on canvas panel


"When my arms wrap you round I press
My heart upon the loveliness 
That has long faded from the world."

Yeats

While picking up ingredients for the Easter dinner I was preparing for our family of 20, I decided to purchase some flowers for a centerpiece. I was on a tight budget, but discovered some very ripe pink tulips, crammed into the overflowing slashed-price bucket, stuck against the back wall at Kroger for $2.99 a dozen. They were hidden from view by the more marketable, young buds with firm tight lips who were much richer and vibrant in color then these paling rejects.

Although my mid-life beauties were a bit faded and sagged a little with mouths agape, I decided they were perfect! After all, Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art." Now, I am sure she would agree this truth applies to flowers as well.

Unfortunately this bunch was catty and rude, whispering secrets to each other behind my back. These three-lips lasted just long enough for me to finish the dishes and paint them before they took their final bow and were tossed into the trash can. 
Thanks for "tip toe(ing) through my tulips" today!
nancy


My graphic design business: www.graphicdesigngroup.net

No comments:

Post a Comment