Monday, February 21, 2011

"FLOATING CAMELLIA"


"Floating Camellia" 6x6" Oil on canvas panel
Click to Bid
February 26 marks the 10th anniversary of Harry's (my father) passing. Every year the anniversary is heralded with the blooming of a beautiful camellia bush given to me by my friend Darla on the day of dad's funeral. The tight round little buds began opening this weekend, always a welcome sight as they breathe brilliant gasps of life into the skeletal remains of my long-dead winter garden. The flowers are actually deep salmon in color and hard to create using just warm cadmium red, cool alizarin crimson and a bit of ultramarine blue for the shadows. I ended up adding a little white in the highlights which can dull the saturation of the color and cause it to look chalky. I ended up pretty pleased with the end product. I miss you dad. 

Thank you for viewing my painting.

nancy
My Flickr Portfolio
My Graphic Design 

No comments:

Post a Comment