Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Last Dance"

My Flickr Portfolio 
My Graphic Design  


"Last Dance" 8x6" Oil on canvas panel


My daughter's old satin pointe shoes have been sitting on my closet shelf for years, representing an end of an era. I haven't been able to let go of them for the memories they hold dear. Plucked from the shelf last night, I placed them back in front of stage lights where, along with their fading satin ribbons, they posed for me in a challenging still-life.

Like fuzzy memories, I wanted to use loose and fluid brush strokes. It's hard not to get all tight and end up overworking a painting. My poet husband tells me that a poem is never finished but merely abandoned. In painting, I have to be aware and disciplined to abandon paintings before they seem finished, or risk total destruction.

Thanks for viewing my work.

nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment