Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Angela's Path"

"Angela's Path" 6x8" oil on canvas panel - CLICK TO BID


Today's painting was my submission in the DPW's "Rectangle Challenge" which was a total blast! The rule was to build up a painting by laying down ONLY rectangles, one rectangle at a time and one rectangle adjacent to the next. You also had to mix a new color for each rectangle, comparing the color, value, and temperature as you proceeded.

My friend Angela sent me this photo from a recent hike in a Nature Preserve. I loved all the pinkish-violet tones on the tree in the foreground and in the distance, so I thought it would be fun to work with if simplified down into workable pieces.

This challenge forced me to paint outside my comfort zone but once I had placed the first couple of strokes, my mind responded like I was working a jigsaw puzzle, finding and placing down one colored piece at a time. To my delight the end result was a very abstracted, mosaic-like quality. My own personal painting style contains some degree of abstraction, which I think makes a painting more interesting. However, this challenge pushed me to leap-frog onto a new pad. I am sure I'll be revisiting this pond again and again. R-r-r-ebit!!!

Thanks for viewing and for all your comments and encouragement of my work!

FREE SHIPPING

I am offering FREE shipping within the U.S. on all paintings in my Daily Paint Works,  ebay and  Etsy stores. These small paintings look great in groups of two or more, and add interest and charm to an entry, kitchen, bath, sitting on a bookshelf, or  other small areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment