Sunday, March 4, 2012

Just Horsing Around

"Just Horsing Around" 10x8" Oil on gessobord



I was really jazzed to enter this weeks DPW Challenge, since I have never painted a horse before. Guess I've just never had the opportunity to photograph one in the wild. I have included above, the photograph we were asked to paint for the challenge.

I think I enjoyed painting the grass as much as the horse. I tried to break the grass up into an interesting pattern, and was happy with the mosaic, patchwork-look that emerged. My personal challenge is to always try to keep my brush strokes as loose as possible. I had been working on a large commissioned piece that had to be rendered very tightly, so this was a welcome change of pace for this old mare now free to roam in new pastures. 

Thanks for stopping to graze awhile in my pasture. ; )
nancy

My graphic design: www.graphicdesigngroup.net

No comments:

Post a Comment