Monday, November 28, 2011

Pocketful of Posies

"Pocketful of Posies" 6x6" Oil on canvas panel





I bought this bright colorful little gathering of Gerber Daisies in the discounted section of the grocery store for $.99, hoping they would hold up for a few more days, to paint over the holiday weekend.

Like most all of my work, this was painted alla prima, that is wet onto wet. In case you are unfamiliar with that term, alla prima is a style of painting where, instead of building colors up with layers or glazing over an underpainting, the painting is completed while the paint is still wet. This painting style was used by some of my favorite painters: Paul Cezanne, John Singer Sargent, Caravaggio and Mary Cassatt. 

I love the clean fluid, watercolor-like effects I can get but with the vibrant, richness of oils. If I am lucky, I can find sharp edges or soft ones that blend and melt into other areas. 

I have a long way to go and a lot to learn in oil painting, so I have to be careful or things can get ugly and muddy very quickly. I try to work fast and on small canvases cause once it all dries, the party's over...the clock strikes midnight...and Cinderella has to leave the ball.

Thank you for viewing my painting!
nancy

FREE SHIPPING WITHIN USA
I am offering FREE shipping within the U.S. on all paintings in my Daily Paint Works and Etsy stores. These small paintings work great in groups of two or more, and add interest and charm to an entry, kitchen, bath, sitting on a bookshelf, or other small areas.

INTERNATIONAL PURCHASES AND SHIPPING:  Shipping charges are based on actual weight, contact me directly to arrange for online payments and shipping cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment