Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 11


"Mountains and hills Praise the Lord!"
Here are the same little row of soldiers I painted yesterday, all dressed at reveille awaiting morning roll call of the sun.

Took a day trip to the Davis Mountains to visit Fort Davis and the McDonald Observatory. I had never been to a fort, with the exception for the Alamo. I could literally sense the spirit and energy that once walked those same grounds and paths. A key post in the defense of west Texas, Fort Davis played a major role from 1854 until 1891. Troops stationed at the post protected emigrants, freighters, mail coaches and travelers on the San Antonio-El Paso Road from Apaches and Comanches. Fort Davis is one of the best remaining examples of a frontier military post. There was a lot to see but here are a few of the photos I snapped of the huge expanse of land boxed in by a canyon wall.

Fort Davis


Officer's Quarters

Other Military Quarters


Restored Hospital


On to McDonald Observatory the highest place in Texas. In spite of the on and off rain
stunning views could be seen of the mountains covered with storm clouds.

The sun finally broke through by the end of the day to showcase in brilliance a sea of graduating blue sky and cumulus, hinting to the prospect of fair weather ahead. What an ever-changing and glorious world that astounds and mystifies me moment by moment. Light, the master sculpture and transformer, floods the canvas of my world in an evolving palette. I am humbled as I stand here in awe, wonder and praise.





2 comments:

  1. Bless you both . . . love what you're doing. However, am glad it's you and not me. One big snake on our patio in Tucson almost sent me back to Houston. Ken prevailed and assured me that the situation was an anomaly. Right. The neighbors assured me that the snake was more of afraid of me than I was of it. Right. We are spending our time exploring Tucson and enjoying the difference in our daily routine. Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Joy!!! I am right with you in regard to snakes. I have not encountered one yet but am walking on egg shells. We miss you guys already but know how much fun you must be having in your new location. We send you are love and hope to see you back in Texas in the near future.

    Thanks for your comment. It brightened my day even brighter.

    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete