Monday, July 5, 2010

DAY 5




I was awakened by the joyful hearlds at 5:00 this morning, a multitude of various birds whose names I didn't know nor recognize. Found out this little fellow, a common local, was a Vermilion Flycatcher. I draw the curtains to watch the graceful movements of a camper deep into his morning Tai-Chi movements while, two cottontails foraged around my door step, along with dove and several roadrunners. The pink watercolor stripe of morning glow is just being washed over the eastern slopes. What a way to greet yet another gift of a day! Dave is still asleep so I take a long quiet hike along a high desert trail lined with lime green cottonwoods in search of a perfect place to paint.

Last night we encountered lightening bugs, frogs and a coyote on the way to the restroom. In spite of the cloud cover, an abundance of stars could be seen peeking in and through the pitch darkness of the canyon. The RV park facilities closes at 8:00 each night so you have to drive to another campground 1/2 mile away. We were warned not to walk there because all sorts of snakes slithering about at night. I haven't seen a snake yet but did find the remains of a road kill rattle on my hike this morning. YIKES!!!

Time to make the oatmeal and set up to paint...

1 comment:

  1. Lightening bugs - I haven't seen them in years! You guys are so lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete